Wednesday, March 8, 2017

And So It Begins...

 Hello and Welcome!!

"Moonlight" (dir. by Barry Jenkins)
Today is officially the first day of what I know is going to be an essential learning and growing experience that is our final AICE media studies portfolio project. I knew this day was coming but now that its finally here, I feel overwhelmed but also very excited. The idea of being able to take part in a process where we get to make something that we truly believe in excites me to no end. First we started with what genre we wanted our film to have. The difficulty with choosing a genre, is there are so many to choose from therefor so many possibilities! What I do know, is ever since watching movies like  "Moonlight" (dir. by Barry Jenkins) I was so inspired by its cinematography and the way they used color psychology in order to create a deeper meaning.  Another film that has also inspired me is "Her" (dir. by Spike Jonze). I love the way the use of color sets a tone in the film. In the article "Lonely Palette: The Economy of Color in Spike Jonze's Her" Durga Chew-Bose states,
"Her" (dir. by Spike Jonze)
"Though clean by design, Her’s visual vocabulary never feels overly tailored. It's colours and imagery are deliberate, but rather than lapse into bludgeoning metaphor, they prop up a world based on comfort—both the appreciation of and the longing for." 
Both the aesthetics, although very different, have in many ways left me in awe and artistically I knew it was something I wanted to try with my group. As of right now we are still in the planning process and how we want to incorporate aspects of color psychology into our film opening to possibly create a deeper and more insightful meaning. I am beyond excited to challenge myself to think in ways I would not usually think in order to grow more in this process. During the course of the next few weeks I'm going to be posting about our journey while we create our two minute film opening!

Until next time!
  Jess



Citations:
"Lonely Palette: The Economy of Colour in Spike Jonze's Her." Hazlitt. N.p., 08 Aug. 2014. Web. 08 Mar.        2017.
N.d. Google. Web. 8 Mar. 2017. 'Her' image
N.d. Tumblr. Web. 8 Mar. 2017. Moonlight gif

No comments:

Post a Comment